Thursday, July 26, 2012

Roger Waters, Wall to Wall

Earlier this month, I had the opportunity of seeing Roger Waters' performance of The Wall Live for a second time. This show was seriously worth every penny to see it the two times, the first in Nassau Coliseum and the second at Yankee Stadium.

Yankee Stadium, 7/7/12.
The nature of this show was just massive for both shows, but I thought that the Yankee Stadium performance completely blew away the first time I saw it. Naturally having an indoor show versus an outdoor one, there will be many differences between them. The outdoor atmosphere definitely suited this show better, in addition to the fact that the actually wall itself was much more massive at Yankee Stadium. The wall took up the entire outfield, so if you have ever been to that stadium you can get an idea as to how huge it was.

 Here we have "The Show Must Go On" and "In The Flesh" as performed on 7/7/12.

I have to say, this part of the show was really one of my favorites. I still can't get over the massive projection of Roger Waters with the machine gun aiming it at the audience. When I saw it in Nassau, he did not have that added in the show, but that really adds to the dramatic nature of it all.





Now both shows had the pyrotechnics, projections, and the crashing plane.. but an additional thing that the outdoor performance did was in the opening having fireworks shoot up behind the stage. It went perfectly, plus during the opening the sound of the planes spanning across the stadium I thought sounded much more realistic like they really were all around us. The one thing that was a little off in the second show was during "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2", the kids singing the chorus were a little ahead of the rest. But after that song, Roger took a moment to thank them for being with them, for being in front of the massive audience of Yankee Stadium, and how it is very easy to get nervous performing in front of such a mass amount of people. That was really nice, and the little bit that was off didn't take away at all really. For me personally I loved the Yankee Stadium performance more than the Nassau Coliseum one.

Now here we have "Run Like Hell", which is another favorite of mine, this recording being from 10/13/10. This version and the one from the second show were a bit different, but both awesome. The second time I saw it I feel like it was better, but that is also after doing for a year and a half more of touring. So while that first show was amazing, the second really blew it away.

Every aspect of these two shows was amazing, I really loved it all. I wish I could go and see it again, while the tickets were expensive it was worth every penny. I can't possibly accurately describe just how amazing, and really how grand the whole production was, but maybe I was able to convey some of that within this post. Though if you saw anything from this tour, I'm sure you understand just how amazing it was. So, from the Yankee Stadium show I got one of the posters that was specific for that show, seen below.

Numbered 1573/3000

No comments:

Post a Comment