Friday, September 6, 2013

May/June '13: Sabbath 13 | Crowds | State

Since I haven't been keeping up too much with the every other month uploading various album reviews of what's been released, here are some reviews of a few albums that came out recently.. Now these are brief, but I may expand upon them further later on. I just wanted to get some newer albums somewhat reviewed before I get swamped with class work for the semester.


Black Sabbath - 13

The much anticipated new Black Sabbath album, 13, with most of the original line up; Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Brad Wilk on drums (instead of Bill Ward). This is their first studio album since Forbidden which was released in 1995 (that I personally love and is sadly out of print), but even longer since the last studio album with Ozzy on vocals which was Never Say Die! in 1978.

The album closes with a perfect way of paying homage to the first album Black Sabbath that came out in 1970, ending with the same sort of thunderstorms which opened that album. The whole album really does not disappoint as far as Sabbath goes. If you have not heard it up, embrace your inner metal head (even if you are not one) and pick up a copy. I would also like to add, that from having access to a copy of the deluxe edition (while not mine), it is fantastic between the packaging, vinyl, and other artwork, really an excellent presentation for the music.


Bruce Soord & Jonas Renkse - Wisdom of Crowds

A very interesting collaboration between Bruce Soord (of The Pineapple Thief) and Jonas Renkse (of Katatonia). The music written by Soord specifically with Renkse's voice in mind, brings the electronic alternative rock elements similar to that of The Pineapple Thief to the voice that is known to bring the sorrowful gloom of emotions from Katatonia.

This album is really a lot more than just that though, since it differs so much from each musicians main bands. The sound that they bring to this album is really unique, and even if you are unfailiar with either of their main band, I would just recommend picking this up and giving it a listen.


TesseracT - Altered State

The second album from them, now having a new vocalist Ashe O’Hara, who for the album does entirely clean vocals. On their previous album One, there was a mix of both clean and harsh vocals which blended nicely with their sound, but while still maintaining that they continue on with solely clean. It proves to be a solid follow up to their first release, so if you were into their sound before I would recommend continuing to follow them with their new singer



There are obviously many other fantastic albums that have came out so far this year that I have not reviewed, but I may do more reviews of those later on, or save such reviews for when I do my top 10 albums of 2013. I've already started listing the new albums I have listened to so far this year, and noting the ones that have really stood out to me. Although I do expect to do many more of certain upcoming albums at least, especially those which are for me at least, highly anticipated (and since listening to some of them they do not disappoint in the slightest).

Also, expect to see a few more concert reviews at the end of the month because I am seeing some amazing bands that I can not wait for (same for October, as well as another voyage to the New York Comic Con). Possibly also a post on some of my vinyl collection and my parents collection from the 70's, but that would probably wait until after the album/concert write ups due to time constraints of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment