Sunday, September 16, 2012

Three tours

While I am waiting until the end of the month to see the Epic Kings & Idols Tour, I'll take this time to discuss three tours that I had seen.


Saints and Sinners Tour; 12/11/11 Best Buy Theater

This show had three fantastic bands playing; Between the Buried and Me, Animals As Leaders, and TesseracT. Now if you also got this poster, you'll probably notice that the 12/11 date is not there, that is probably because they added that date after the tour announcement making it the last stop on the tour. Let me just say, that it was a fantastic and insane show. For example, during BTBAM's set (specifically the song "Specular Reflection") all of Animals As Leaders came on stage in their underwear and started dancing on stage. A very memorable moment indeed.

To start off the night, TesseracT was on first with their singer at the time Elliot Coleman. They were filled with energy and I thought did a great set. At the end of the show when I went to get some merch, I got to meet them since they were at the table selling items and they were really nice and signed my copy of One that I purchased.

Second on was Animals As Leaders, who put on as you may expect a fantastic show. They are instrumental, and extremely technical with their songs. Their set for the night was the following:
01. An Infinte Regression | 02. Tempting Time | 03. Song of Solomon | 04. Point to Point | 05. Cylindrical Sea | 06. Isolated Incidents | 07. Wave of Babies | 08. CAFO 

To close out the show, Between the Buried and Me came on. For me with each band the night just kept getting better and better. Throughout their set the pit was insane, I wasn't intentionally in it, but during the first song it kind of appeared all of a sudden everywhere. But it was crazy, and BTBAM's playing was fantastic. Their set was:
01. Mirrors | 02. Obfuscation | 03. (B) The Decade Of Statues | 04. Disease, Injury, Madness | 05. Specular Reflection | 06. Alaska / All Bodies / Arsonist / Shevanel Cut A Flip / Aspirations / Fire For a Dry Mouth / Lost Perfection: Anablephobia (Medly) | 07. Viridian | 08. White Walls | Encore: 09. Mordecai



Heritage Hunter Tour; 4/11/12 Roseland Ballroom

 Here we have two very well known progressive metal bands co-headlining this tour. Opeth, Mastodon, and an opening act of the Swedish occult doom metal band Ghost. It was really a wonderful combination for a night.

Ghost is very theatrical in their performance, with the lead singer dressed in satanic priest robes and a skull mask covering their face, while the rest of the band is in black robes that also hide their identity.
01. Con Clavi Con Dio | 02. Elizabeth | 03. Death Knell | 04. Prime Mover | 05. Satan Prayer | 06. Ritual 

Second on was the really overall wonderful, Opeth. They mainly played their set with songs that had clean vocals, up until their encore of "Demon of the Fall" where it is just straight up harsh vocals death metal. That was so sick, I seriously loved every second of it.

 

That encore was a real treat for me, considering this was the first time I had gotten to see Opeth live. Also according to setlist.fm (where I mainly get the setlists from), it was the first time they played that song live since 2010. I really enjoyed their entire set though, there is no denying that. The rest of their set consisted of:
01. The Devil’s Orchard | 02. I Feel the Dark | 03. Slither | 04. Windowpane | 05. Burden | 06. The Lines in My Hand | 07. Folklore | 08. The Grand Conjuration | Encore: Demon of the Fall

Now to close out the show for this night, Mastodon was the headlining band. They put on a great show, as did Opeth and Ghost. They had a lot of energy I thought, and really between their stage set up and everything were just great. Their set was:
01. Black Tongue | 02. Hand of Stone | 03. Crystal Skull | 04. Dry Bone Valley | 05. Thickening | 06. Octopus Has No Friends | 07. Blasteroid | 08. Stargasm | 09. The Hunter | 10. Crack the Skye | 11. All the Heavy Lifting | 12. Spectrelight | 13. Curl of the Burl | 14. Bedazzled Fingernails | 15. Aqua Dementia | 16. Blood and Thunder | 17. The Sparrow


The Ophidian Trek; 5/23/12 Terminal 5

This tour consisted of Meshuggah, Baroness, and Decapitated. That stuff's crazy man.

So to start things off, Decapitated was the opening act. Out of the three bands that played, their crowd I must say was the most intense. I'll be honest, I was not too familiar with them before the show (and still not too much), I had only heard one of their albums maybe once or twice. But they put on an enjoyable show, even with getting a bit squished and moved around by the crowd.

Second on was Baroness, who I thought were fantastic. The crown during their set was really chill, so I really got to experience and appreciate their music, as well as overall performance, to it's fullest. I think their set was actually my favorite of the night, it was just really flowing and kind of captivating.

Finally to close out the night, Meshuggah came on. Their performance was fantastic,and pretty intense as I'm sure you would expect from their music. I was at a different part of the crowd for their set, but it didn't appear to be as intense as far as moshing goes as Decapitated. I really enjoyed the whole show though. Their set consisted of:
[Obsidian] | 01. Demiurge | 02. Pravus | 03. Combustion | 04. Glints Collide | 05. Lethargica | 06. Do Not Look Down | 07. The Hurt That Finds You First | [Mind’s Mirrors] | 08. In Death - Is Life | 09. In Death - Is Death | 10. Bleed | 11. New Millennium Cyanide Christ | 12. I Am Colossus | 13. Rational Gaze
Encore: 14. Future Breed Machine | 15. Dancers to a Discordant System |[The Last Vigil]

No comments:

Post a Comment